One Pillar Pagoda


Another popular stop on the tour group trail, masses line up to climb the steps to the small shrine within the gazebo-like structure. For most Western visitors it may be enough to take a glance at it as they leave the Ho Chi Minh Museum.


Originally built in 1049 of wood, the pagoda was vandalised and burned by the French in 1954 as they retreated from Hanoi, only to be rebuilt the following year. The pagoda was built by Emperor Ly Thai To during the Ly Dynasty. Legend states that the Emperor had a dream that he was given a son by the goddess of mercy, Quan An, while seated on a lotus flower. Soon afterwards, the Emperor married a peasant girl and had a son. The Emperor built the pagoda to honour the goddess, and it contains a statue of her and many sculptures of lotus flowers. Built over a lotus pond, the One Pillar Pagoda is extremely popular with childless couples and is also believed to have miraculous healing powers. During the summer, the surrounding pond is covered in lotus blossoms.

More details
Beside the Ho Chi Minh museum
Opening Hours: Daily 08:30-11:30, 13:00-16:30